For current members of the Boy Scouts of America who are active in the Greater Philadelphia area. Which includes, Bucks, Chester Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania as well as Burlington, Camden and Gloucester in New Jersey.
The Mervin Sluizer, Jr. Scholarship Fund was created in 1992 by alumni of Philadelphia Troop 185, Boy Scouts of America, for the purpose of helping worthy scouts pursue higher education. This is a scholarship in the amount of $1,000 which may be re-applied for each year throughout the applicant’s higher education. Scholarship recipients will be selected from active Scouts who meet the criteria below. The fund is administered by The Philadelphia Foundation, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt, non-profit organization. The award will be made to the educational institution according to the regulations of The Philadelphia Foundation. Any tax consequences are solely the responsibility of the Scholarship recipient.
- Have been active in the Boy Scouts of America for at least 5 years, and must be currently active at the time of application.
- Have attained the rank of Eagle.
- Have demonstrated responsible leadership as a Scout for a period of at least one year.
- Exemplify the ideals of Scouting in his life and by his activities.
(Please have this point elaborated on in your letters of recommendation.)
- Be at least in his last year of high school at the time of application.
- Reside in the 8 county Philadelphia metropolitan area which includes: Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania and Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties in New Jersey.